Saturday, June 16, 2007

There Can Be Only One

Okay, so it's not my best work, as titles go. I'm in the Highlands of Scotland, in the town-called-a-city called Inverness. Broadswords, kilts, drinking and fierce landscape. It's awesome!

In our last episode, our heroine (meeeeee!) had narrowly avoided death by lack of hygiene, or worse, and mounted a bus for Scotland. I headed south, as you do, then transferred in a random little place callled Preston to my bus for Inverness. As we headed north, everything got more awesome. Gah, my descriptive powers are really not up to scratch today. Oh well, you can laugh at me if nothing else. This hang over is pretty bad! Okay, so I'm going to skip the flowing narrative and just describe the cool bits.

We drove through Cairngorm (I know what a cairn is, and I know what gormlesness is... ?) National Park, and the hills were huge, bare expanses which crouched like a waiting thing along the side of the road. The weather had turned nasty and rain lashed the coach, winds buffeted us and the clouds hid the tops of the hills, shrouding everything in mysterious goloom. It was awesome.

I got to the hostel and there were three German girls already in the room. They were really cool, and within 5 minutes of meeting them they invited me to go to Loch Ness with them the next day. I did, and it was cool.

Then we went out to a pub, and met some Danish boys who were cool. I went out with them the next night.

The day after that - yesterday - I went on a "Canny Tour" which went all the way around the place... [brain... not... go good] it was really cool. Some more incredible scenery, these awe inspiring bare mountains.

Alright, I might leave it there and try to describe more later. Remind me to tell you about the lady from the Outer Hebrides. She was cool.

No comments: